Larry Wall wrote:

But that's just my current mental model, which history has shown
is subject to random tweakage.  And maybe "env $+result" could be a
special squinting construct that does create-unless-already-created.
Doesn't feel terribly clean to me though.  If we stick with the +
twigil always meaning at least one CALLER::, then clarity might be
better served by

    env $result := $+result // 1;

assuming that $+result merely returns undef in the outermost env context.

Wouldn't that bind $result to a constant at the outermost scope -- and therefore to that same constant in all inner scopes? If so, then later attempts to assign $result would be an error.