Hi,

brian d foy wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Moritz Lenz
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> brian d foy wrote:
>>> Under the section "The for Statement" in S04, it says that the diamond
>>> operator
>>>
>>>    while( <> ) { ... }
>>>
>>> becomes in Perl 6
>>>
>>>    for =$*ARGS { ... }
>> Some time ago I read that too, and wondered why that's not [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> That
>> seems more reasonable, because the command line arguments are stored in
>> @*ARGS.
>
> well, $*ARGS is a magical filehandle, not a list of files. If you could
> use an array there, I think you'd have to allow any array, and that
> would be weird.

Why would that be weird? When things like

my $file = "/etc/passwd";
for =$file -> $line { ... }

work, why shouldn't we allow things like

my @files = <foo bar>
for [EMAIL PROTECTED] -> $line { ... }

and let '=' followed by an empty list default to $*IN (like in =<>)?

I think that would be consequent magic, and very convenient.

(If you already had that discussion earlier, just say it and I'll shut
up ;-)

Cheers,
Moritz

--