Darren Duncan wrote:
Given this, there is an obvious (to me) solution for pod blocks in the middle of expressions like:

  my $foo
    = $bar;

As the example shows, and I believe best practices espouse, you *indent* the code line with a leading =.

I'd agree that indentation is good for readability. But I do know (and regularly use) tools that will "helpfully" strip out leading whitespace. For example, the bug tracking system I use at work drops all leading whitespace; and if you put code in MS-Word using style-sheet indentation then cut&paste will drop it. This would be unfortunate.

My problems with these tools would be reduced if the POD identification rule was changed from /^=/ to /^=\w/. I.e. whitespace after the initial "=" marks it as non-pod.

Dave.