On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:23 PM, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 February 2008 06:25:42 Joshua Gatcomb wrote:
>

> I could take a month's sabbatical from my day job for $5000 without losing
> insurance coverage or other benefits.  That's slightly more than Audrey's
> $100/day, I know, but it's substantially less than my consulting rate and
> somewhat less than my salary too.  I could probably make 100 - 150
> high-quality commits to Parrot in that 30 day period.  Perhaps more.
>
> I'm probably not the only Parrot/Perl 6 hacker in this situation.

I was beginning to wonder if my post to the thread had gotten eaten.  Thanks
for replying.  I probably didn't do a good job of tying the two portions of
my reply together, but if I were to go to the donation page and I saw

Project:  Allow chromatic for 1 month to work exclusively on parrot
Deliverables (if applicable):  100 - 150 high quality commits
Required:  $5000
Current:  $0

I would be very inclined to make a donation.  In fact, if you can find 9
other people willing to do so - I will cut a check for $500 any time you are
ready.  That's besides the point.

I don't believe "just getting more money" is the solution.  I think we need
to do a number of things:

1.  Identify people, like you, who are in a position to trade time for money
and the projects they will work on
2.  Allow people to choose where their money will go (if that's what they
want to do)
3.  Do it in a way that causes the least amount of fighting

-- c

Cheers,
Joshua Gatcomb
a.k.a. Limbic~Region