From: Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:00:53 -0700

   On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 03:41:19PM -0500, John M. Dlugosz wrote:

   > >>  Well, lessee. The Common Lisp spec calls them "situations" in the
   > definition of (eval-when)...

   That's not bad.

FWIW, eval-when only does BEGIN and INIT; CATCH, LEAVE, etc. are handled
by other special forms.

   Other languages call them "ON" blocks and such.

AFAIR, only languages that use "ON" as the keyword to introduce them.

   > OK, so people already want to say "The BEGIN block".  So the set of
   > them are "The XXX blocks" where XXX is the collective name for
   > those keywords . . .

   Not sure I like the stage/phase/chapter metaphor, really.  Too static.
   On the other hand, situation seems to convey more ad hoc-ness than
   strictly necessary.

   . . .

   Larry

How about "daemon blocks"?  That suggests to me that they are invoked as
required, and not necessarily in synchrony with their containing blocks.

                                        -- Bob Rogers
                                           http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/