Some tiny thoughts:

DD> ... I would consider "Numeric" more broad, such as to include
DD> anything that might conceivably be called a number, probably
DD> user-defined, that isn't representable by a "complex".

Is Numeric intended to have a guarantee of commutability? Ie, is it a ring?

Or, put another way, would a Quaternion be a Numeric?

DD> Or maybe better yet for completion sake, make "Gaussian" a role and
DD> something like "Gaus" the type or something.

Wasn’t his name Gauß?  If so, then Gauß or Gauss, yes?

In general, though, I agree with the thesis.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cl...@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6