On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH
<allb...@ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
>  On 7/28/10 8:07 PM, Michael Zedeler wrote:
>>> This is definitely something for the Unicode crowd to look into.  But
>>> whatever solution you come up with, please make it compatible with the
>>> notion that "aardvark".."apple" can be used to match any word in the
>>> dictionary that comes between those two words.
>> The key issue here is whethere there is a well defined and meaningful
>> ordering of the characters in question. We keep discussing the nice
>> examples, but how about "apple" .. "ส้ม"?
>
> I thought that was already disallowed by spec.

As a range, it ought to work; it's only when you try to generate a
list from it that you run into trouble, as the spec currently assumes
that "z".succ eqv "aa".

Anyway: whatever default algorithm we go with for resolving "cmp", I
strongly recommend that we define the default .succ so that "$x lt
$x.succ" is always true.

--
Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang