[snip]

This feature came about (along with Larry's generalization to include "'"s)
feasibility of a P6 module to allow hyphens in identifiers.

(BTW, I frequently mix hyphens with underscores to make space-free file
names with hyphenated dates, hyphenated words, and so on. But I wouldn't
want hyphens and underscores treated as equivalent, just as I wouldn't want
upper and lowercase letters treated as equivalent. Then again, "use strict;"
is my friend, so I don't anticipate non-trivial problems with such sorts
non-equivalences. YMMV.)

Here is a reply of mine to an old thread on this topic; others have
independently expressed somewhat similar sentiments.

[Sun 4/11/2010 12:45 AM]
> From: Mark J. Reed [mailto:markjr...@gmail.com]
[...]
> Perl borrows vocabulary almost exclusively from English, but it is
> not English, and its conventions are not those of English.  (And the
> conventions around hyphens that people are citing are quite specifically
> those of standard written English; other writing systems, even those using
> the same alphabet and mostly the same punctuation, have different rules).

Consider s/English/Linux/ for example. :-)

One consideration leading up to allowing "-" in P6 identifiers (initially in
the context of an optional syntax-tweaking module) involved compatibility
with fairly common usage in {directory and file} names (where spaces are
avoided for cross-platform reasons). I've always thought {Lisp variable
names and Unix/Linux file names} with hyphens (versus underscores) were
{more readable and substantially easier to type (during long typing
sessions)}.

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.language/browse_thread/thread/1625
baa7eead0d71/

http://groups.google.com/group/perl.perl6.compiler/browse_thread/thread/e6cc
5dc9360ada36/c59f2fb1f49b80f5?lnk=gst&q=r28689#c59f2fb1f49b80f5

> I would personally like to see hyphens used as the standard word
separator,
> with underscores available for exceptions - say, naming a Perl interface
> method exactly the same as the underlying C function it provides access
to.
[...]

++!

Best Regards,