Yes, unpredictable performance is a price I'm willing to pay.  I'm using a
dynamic language after all.

If you aren't willing to pay it, just use typed variables.  Or even native
types, like num or int.  Choose your own number representation -- there's
more than one way to do it.

The design philosophy in Perl 6 to make common things easy and other things
possible; pathological number sequences are not the common case.