From: vijayvithal jahagirdar [mailto:jahagirdar...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:05 AM
To: Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net>
Cc: Perl Language <perl6-language@perl.org>; raiph mellor
<raiph.mel...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Naming debate- what's the location for it?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of CA. Do not click links or open
attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
Marketing is not only about branding. It is also about finding Evangelists.
Perl's traditional base was in

  *   Web Development,
  *   Text Processing,
  *   Bio-Informatics and
  *   As a general glue language among the sys admin and EDA community.

How many of these sectors are moving away or have moved away from Perl? What is
the game plan for bringing them back?

  *   How many courses are there today on Coursera or Other MOOCS which use
Perl to teach one of the above?
  *   If I wanted to learn something new today, rather than plod through 300
pages of a book I would signup for a course and spend the time in watching the
course material and doing the assignments.
  *   When I wanted to learn DataScience, courses using R and Python were
readily available. Even though I had been using Perl for 20 years, I did not
even know where to start in the Perl ecosystem!

I believe along with re branding we also need powerful narratives about how
Modern Perl and P6 are better than their competitors in the selected domains.

Regards

Vijay

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 3:26 AM, Darren Duncan