for more on this apprenticeship concept in the software world, check out

http://www.mengwong.com/Apprenticeship/

it is a good read and the author is writing it with input from many
people.

the apprentice is given the shit work to do in return for being around
the master and learning directly his skills. it is a worthwhile concept
that is still done in medicine and other areas but not nearly as much as
it used to be many years ago. in some trades it is still done in some
ways. even in movies they have apprentice directors under the umbrella
of their guild.

we have to work out the relationship for perl6 such that it benefits
both groups and doesn't abuse either one. also note that you can be a
master in one group and be an apprentice in another. for example, i
might be one of the main people working on I/O and events as i have a
strong background in it. but i might apprentice in the regex group as i
have never hacked any regex engines and i would be interested in
learning that. the question arises o the committment level. i actually
doubt i would have the time to do my day job, be a master in the I/O
group and apprentice in the regex but others could do it. i hope we
require some reasonable committments from folks so we know the manpower
any group will have at its disposal.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting