On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 11:14:34PM -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> I view branches in this initial version as highly unlikely to be
> useful.  We need to have a trunk before we can have branches.

I was actually speaking of both the initial development and on from
there.  You don't need a trunk to have branches.

I want to take some more time to write this idea out better, but the
idea is basically to break alot of the interdependeness of the various
pieces of perl (hashes, arrays, scalars, regexes, etc...) and develop
each as a largely seperate library suitable for seperate release.

This removes the need for a large hunk of perl6 to be working before
we can get something useful.  It should make the internals much
cleaner, make testing easier (as we can test each piece before its
integration), make things easier to document, make perl core hacking
more approachable for newbies and produce a large amount of code
libraries which could be used outside of perl.

Let me write this out completely before anyone really tears into the idea.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse