On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 12:47:34PM -0400, David Grove wrote:
> So, I'll go you one farther. What about creating a cleaned up perl, and
> letting those who want to play with a new language entirely do so in the
> form of a true fork.

If all you're concerned about is providing a cleaned up Perl 5 which
is easy to transition to, that should certainly be possible with Perl
6 given that its ment to make meta-languages easy to generate.

However, this will have to wait for Perl 6 to be developed which may
take a while.  Then again, cleaning up Perl 5 starting with Perl 5's
internals would probably take just as long.

PS  Debian's got 5.6.1 in testing, its certainly not rejected, they're
just a bit slow on the uptake.

--

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl6 Quality Assurance     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       Kwalitee Is Job One