----- Original Message -----
From: "David Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peter Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 5:47 PM
Subject: RE: Perl, the new generation
.
> Corporate users do not think in terms of neat and novel, they think in
terms
> of how much work it's going to be to keep up with the complete overhaul of
> language versus moving to a language with a stable syntax once and not
> having to deal with it again. We will not soon rise above that kind of bad
> opinion.

Quite. One of the nice things, so far, about working with Perl is that
upgrades have been reletively simple and painless, cheap, in other words.
Compared to, say, the upgrade between VB 16bit and VB 32bit, the Perl
upgrades I've done have been free. The idea of changing all of my Perl
scripts is *not* attractive, actually it's sort of scary.

Mike

.
.