Jarkko Hietaniemi writes:
> Yea, verily.  I have more than once stared for more seconds than I
> care to admit being completely baffled at why my C compiler doesn't
> appreciate
>
>       print "foo = $foo\n";

If I had a dollar for every time I've put $ on C variables, I'd have
enough to buy William all the Toy Story merchandise he wants :-)

To return to the perl6 topic, though ...  yes, it'd be nice to have a
huge syntactic gap between Perl and every other language because then
you'd be able to recognize when you were editing Perl.  But it ain't
going to happen.  We'd have to be even weirder than befunge to come up
with completely new syntax.  Besides, there are lots of good syntactic
doodads for us to pilfer from other languages.

So in the future, just as now, you're going to have to keep track of
the language of the source code you're editing.  Sorry.

In this thread I've heard both "perl6 is too different from perl5" and
"perl6 is too similar to perl5", without anybody naming the specific
things that are problems and suggesting solutions.

It must be a full moon or something :-)

Nat