On Wed, 16 May 2001, Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:14:57AM -0700, Dave Storrs wrote:
> > afraid of, and to express your concerns about it.  However, the way that
> > you chose to do that ("Once quick and dirty dies, Perl dies.") implies
> > that the only thing that Perl is good for is q-n-d
>
> A veritable lesson in logic! Here's an equivalent statement.
>     "Once all the oxygen suddenly disappears from the atmosphere,
> humanity is wiped out".

< SARCASM=EXTREME>
        Thank you for your courteous response.  I tried very hard to write
that email in a rational, logical way, and I'm very glad to see that see
people respond in kind.
< /SARCASM

> That naturally suggests that the only thing humanity is good for is is
> respiring oxygen, right? And it's an almost *exactly* equivalent statement,
> because it's almost as likely that Perl will stop being good for quick 'n'
> dirty stuff as all the oxygen dropping out of the atmosphere.

        Oddly enough, you've just restated my exact point...just in a way
which, to me at least, seems much more combative.

                Dave Storrs