At 02:10 PM 6/17/2002 -0600, Luke Palmer wrote:
>Java's hell if you know Perl.  You're used to doing things in 200
>keystrokes, and suddenly it takes you 5000. "The easy things should be
>long, and the hard things should be longer... and slower." (i.e. I don't
>like Java)

<off topic>
If you don't have the book by Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike, titled
"The Practice of Programming", its worth the $30 or so.

It has a very interesting chapter where 5 languages are used to
implement Markov chains and they give performance numbers in
both categories that matter, not just JIT runtime numbers. (that 2nd
category is 'hours to write it').

Lines of code:

C-150
Java-105
C++-70
Awk-20
Perl-18

</off topic>

I think Java was a peak in the infatuation with the "method call" syntax
and see minor retreats in C# (properties, foreach).
I'm not biased to any particular language, but expressiveness is
one thing I crave that Perl has plenty of.

-Melvin