Greetings all,

While a grad student at Illinois, I took a course on numerical methods that
was taught out of a textbook by a professor at Illinois:
http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Computing-Michael-T-Heath/dp/0072399104

I found the book to be well written and quite readable. Furthermore, all
algorithms were notated as algorithms: there was no code written in any
particular language, which I liked a lot. This gave me the enjoyable mental
challenge of implementing the algorithm in my chosen language (PDL), and
avoided issues such as Numerical Recipes' copyright/license restrictions.

David