Ok, it seems that we are seeing a lot of monolouges here. Just tell me
when it finished, so I can tell you again the only reason why we should
not use the U+06C0 character for encoding Persian text. It's about
something named 'normalization', as I already told. You will have two ways
to encode the same text, with no considerations for them being equivalent
(unlike Vav+Hamze). If you want something official from the Unicode
Consortium, wait a while: it will be passed in the next Unicode Technical
Committee meeting, and they will remove the mention of "Persian" from the
description of the character in Unicode charts.

roozbeh

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Abi Lover wrote:

> The implementation of the <hamzeh> in the Farsi and Arabic typography
> presents certain difficulties, because its vertical (and horizontal)
> distance varies depending on where it is positioned in the text. It can be
> positioned vertically anywhere above or below the <alef>, and a wide range
> of distances in between. Its horizontal distance can also vary widely
> because the width of the characters on which it can be positioned can vary,
> as well as its location on the characters. For these reasons it is very
> difficult to create a font with a single <hamzeh> which can be correctly
> positioned on any location required. In the new OpenType font standard it
> does provide sophisticated techniques to enable you to do that, but with the
> older TrueType and PostScript fonts that is very difficult, if not
> impossible. For these reasons the most efficient way to generate these
> characters is in the form of ligatures, or better still, as individual
> Unicode glyphs. As it turns out, Unicode does indeed recognise each of these
> shapes as individually coded glyphs, so there is no problem. The only
> exception to this rule seems to be the Farsi <heh + hamzeh>. But that is not
> the fault of Unicode. It is up to the Iranians to ensure that their language
> is properly represented in Unicode.
>
> In the in the final version of the Persian IT standard published on the
> Internet, it is suggested that this shape can be typed by typing the
> individual characters <heh> followed by the <hamzeh>. There are two reasons
> why that is not the best solution. The first is the one given above. The
> second is the fact that this shape is so common in Farsi that it is more
> economical to be able to type it with one keystroke rather than two. A
> better solution is either to represent it as a ligature, or better still, to
> ensure that it is recognised in Unicode as an independent glyph with a
> unique code value. It also means that it should be supported in the Farsi
> keyboard standard by being assigned an independent key.
>
> Unicode is not interested in the meanings given to a character in a given
> language. It is only interested in their physical representation. It is up
> to the individual languages to interpret each character according to the
> rules of each language. In Farsi, a <hamzeh> placed above a <heh> has very
> different significance than one placed above <alef>. But to Unicode it is
> just <hamzeh>.
>
> Abi

Note: If you want me to read a message, please make sure you include my
address in "To" or "CC" fields. I may not be able to follow all the