Hi All,

Although this is my first post, I have been lurking around this list for quite a while now. For those who don't know me, let me put a not so short intro about myself:

I am one of those old guys in Persian computing. I've been around with Persian software issues, localization, globalization, standards and even Persian screen and typographic fonts since 1989 (1368). As an example, look at Nimrooz font (the father of Nesf et. al), ISIRI 3342 and 2901 and you'll find some evidence leading to my past crimes...

I started getting involved in the above issues on Apple's Mac OS platform which is still my favorite. Then I got driven to many platforms from OS/400 to various UNIXes and Linux (Windows being a given). To know how far I date back, it is enough to mention I've been seriously exposed to a CDC-6000 and later NCR's Decision Mate 5. (Trivia quiz: Who knows what are the latter two?)

Aside from Iran I have also worked in Persian Gulf region, Europe and Australia in various kinds of IT projects from RPG to Java, Objective-C and Mono/.NET with a lot of things in between, like 4D (www.4D.com).

Right now, I am proudly residing in my home country and still involved in detailed technical work including coding. I am running Gentoo Linux 2004.0 on Mac and Fedora on PC, but most of my daily work (this e-mail included) is done on Mac OS X Panther which (despite seriously lacking in "Persian Computing") is simply irresistible...

OK, now finally to the subject of the post:

I have the honor of being chosen by FarsiLinux management to work on their "Persian GUI Design Specifications & Guidelines" project. I am also guilty of supporting the project since its conception which lead to its approval, albeit with generous support of Roozbeh and others.

I will try to keep this community informed about the progress of this project and gather early feedback to improve the quality of the final result. I will set up a site or blog to post early information. I'll announce it hopefully by mid next week.

To help you know how to best flame me, first read the RFP of the project here:
<http://www.farsilinux.org/DownloadCenter/rpfs/PersianHIG-821220.zip>

Seriously, I welcome early thoughts before I start influencing your train of thought with my own. I'll also be glad to answer questions you may have related to purpose and scope of the project.

Let me be frank with you, I am getting paid (very modestly) for doing this and you are not, but don't let this turn you off. The project may have an important impact on everything related to "Persian Computing", not just Persian Linux. Lets try to make this project a positive step towards a better era in Persian computing.

On the other hand, I can use a helping hand as a part-time assistant in some specific areas. Mail me off-list if you are interested.

Apologies for my tedious writing style (typical traditional Persian!) and taking so much of your time/bandwidth and thank you for reading this far.

Hooman Mehr