On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, J H wrote:

> I read some of your Nazanin discussions from 2002. Now I am wondering if
> someone somewhere has created a completely legal and working freeware
> version of Nazanin or a font that is similar to it? MS perhaps, or ... I am
> totally confused. Should I worry about Linotype or Sinasoft or the other
> copyright owners or just use it (which of them?)?
>
> J Harkko

For making documents to print on paper or to be used as graphics, your
best bet is still Borna Rayaneh:
http://www.bornaray.com/en_fonts.asp?fn=per_fonts&rfn=en_fonts&parent=fontslist&Grand=Main

For web use, I put some info here:
http://students.washington.edu/irina/persianword/weft.htm
(This site is best viewed on WinXP/IE6.0)
The info on Koodak and Roya fonts by Farsiweb applies to your case. You'll
find in the zipped set of fonts, "Nazli" which is an improved version of
"Nazanin." Note: these fonts are in the beta-testing stage and are not
perfect yet even though the Farsiweb staff has hundreds of thousands of
staff members on the job. (Just kidding, I think there are 2 or 3 people
total??)

As for the legal and moral dimension, everything that was just said about
the Aryanpour dictionary applies here as well. The Kayhan Publishing
Company is the one who commissioned many of the first fonts to be made.
Linotype, specificially Fiona Ross and Tim Holloway helped both with
artistic and technical aspects and both are still in the font business and
I've been trying to get after them for the details but they are busy.
Fiona who is very nice has promised to get back to me soon.  Kayhan, Borna
and Sinasoft seem to have given up all rights and are offering the fonts
for everyone's benefit. That is also extremely nice.  Borna has especially
done a lot of work to improve the fonts and I can't understand why they
don't come out and take a bow and let us extend our appreciation a bit
even though they are included among the silent lurkers on this list!

The greatest mystery of all: How can it be that the Iranian community in
the United States which is the richest and most prosperous immigrant
community of all has not bothered to get together and have a proper
Persian font made and instead are waiting for Microsoft to provide it?

-Connie