On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Saied Nesbat wrote:

> Thanks Behdad!

You're welcome.

> I have gone through your slide presentation online and I am trying to sort
> out things now!

Good.

> So you mean each para should be wrapped in RTL PDF pair? I have experimented
> with outputting RTL, but in some apps (mainly Word) it does not seem to have
> any effect. Is there a setting in word that can remedy this?

No, paragraphs should not be wrapped in anything.  Some systems
automatically detect paragraph direction based on its content
(basically the first alphabetic letter), but apparently Microsoft
systems don't.  So you've got to push a button in Word for that.
I'm sure you can find answers to all your problems here:

http://students.washington.edu/irina/persianword/persianwp.htm

> Do you know of any tool that correctly implements the protocol, so that I
> can use it for testing?

The gedit text editor from the GNOME project is a good example.
Basically anything using latest GNOME libraries implements this.

> Best regards,
>
> Saied
>
> P.s., My friend Farhad Msoudi who just visited Toronto tells me that the a
> huge portion of the CS dept of Toronto university is Iranian.
> Congratulations guys!

Thanks.

behdad

--behdad