Hi,

I hope this last message to this issue will be posted. My previous message on Persian Math was not posted.

In my opinion, there is no "Vowel Diphthong" in Persian and that's why we compensate a mediator phoneme between two vowels to be salient as in /nanva-an/ -> /nanva y an/
The mediator phoneme (vaje miyanji) can be /v/ as in /banu an/ --> /banu v an/
or /g/ as in /bache i/ --> /bache g i/

In /siyah/ the semi-vowel (or semi-consonant) /y/ might be a part of the word and not the
mediator. However, I believe /y/ is part of /siyah/, and (definitively!) /peyman/ and thus these words are two syllables. However, I didn't find any diachronic evidence showing the previous form of /siyah/ as e.g. /seyah/ or any other form. If there is any evidence, there might be a phonetic rule to justify its change like "vowel harmony" (an e.g. /beshin/ --> /bishin/).

Best,

Peyman (Computational Linguist, UofO)
Roozbeh Pournader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 21:51 +0200, Jalal Maleki wrote:
> The two most common diphthongs in Persian are ey and ow like
> in Peyman, peyk, nowruz, Mowlavi, and so on.

Well, not every expert agrees that "ey" is a diphthong. It's a
controversial issue.

> I can put my question in a different way: does giâh have two
> syllables or just one?

This may have the same situation. Some linguists may say is a diphthong
and hence one syllable, while others may say this is two syllables.

BTW, This list is mostly about computing-related aspects of the Persian
language, and members are usually more of technical background than
linguistic background. Linguistic discussions will probably not get
anywhere here, and are off-topic IMHO.

Roozbeh