From: pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net [mailto:pestlist-ow...@museumpests.net] On
Behalf Of Megan Mcintosh
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 4:32 PM
To: pestl...@museumpests.com
Subject: [pestlist] Using Raw Wool in Exhibit Space

We are developing an exhibit about the woollen manufacturing industry at a
small regional museum. We would like to include wool at various stages of
development, starting with raw wool, to show to visitors how the machines
process it. The curator is reluctant to use raw wool within the exhibit as
someone told him a few years ago that it would attract pests, (though completed
textile pieces are regularly displayed in the museum). Does anyone have advice
on what could be done to treat raw wool so that it would not pose a threat to
other artefacts in the space? If not, does anyone have ideas on how to
realistically recreate wool?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Megan McIntosh (Student)
Algonquin College, Applied Museum Studies