I hope this is the appropriate place to ask about larger urchins.

We have a storage area for archaeological materials (almost all inorganics,
typically ceramics, stone and iron) that keeps getting attacked by
squirrels. They like to eat the glue in our corrugated boxes, thus
destroying our provenience data. Then they will sometimes nest in the boxes!
Very disheartening. We keep trapping them and plugging up their outside
entry points. We prohibit all bonafide food sources from storage and are now
switching over to glueless twin-walled polyethylene cartons with duplicate
labelling. Still with all that I've learned not to under-estimate these
critters. Is there anything else we can do?

Dennis

Dennis Piechota
Conservator
Fiske Center for Archaeological Research
UMass Boston
Office: 617-287-6829