Hi Bonnie

We've had a number herbarium pest problems in Australia in recent years, mainly
with herbarium/drugstore beetles (Stegobium panaceum), but also cigarette
beetles (Lasioderma serricorne). The specimens have been stored in a variety of
ways including plastic tubs and cardboard boxes. Neither have proven effective
as a barrier to attack, especially to highly attractive families the Asteraceae
family.

We have been using prefabricated high-barrier bags to encapsulate such
specimens in an effort to make them 'invisible' to pests (i.e. no odour to
attract the bugs). This has been done in conjunction with a number of other
steps such as temperature control, pheromone trapping.

In short, if there is an existing pest problem I don't think the tubs will
afford any protection.

Best wishes
Alex

Alex Roach