Laura's excellent comment reminded me to contribute my thought:

Stainless is very expensive, aluminum less so if the goal is rust prevention.
Gauge for gauge, steel is stronger for puncture/dent resistance, but there are
many types of specialized aluminum that can be also specified.   Steel is more
dense, which is a chief concern for load-bearing and what your floor is rated
for per square foot.   Whether new construction or retrofit, the specialized
equipment specs should be run by your architect's structural engineer to be
sure it is compliant at load (empty) and load (filled with wet/frozen
collections).

Nora Lockshin, Paper Conservator
Smithsonian Center for Archives Conservation
Smithsonian Institution Archives
locksh...@si.edu / 202.633.5913 / 5927 fax /
Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507
Blog  ▪  Facebook ▪  YouTube  ▪  Flickr Commons