Hi Bernice

I just thought I would add a few practical words about our experience with
these pests.

We have sporadic appearance of both booklouse (psocids) and minute brown
scavenger beetles. They come and go.

While we do not like them, after much experience, research and reflection (I
can provide more info if you like)   we tend to “mentally classify” them as
“humidity indicators” or warning signs of potentially more damaging humidity
related pests e.g. silverfish.  That is not to mean we ignore them. In one area
of the building we know why we have a small cyclical problem with the minute
brown scavenger beetle (50%RH and hygroscopic cellulose in a fireproofing
material on overhead metal beams). In the other room there is a small HVAC unit
with an emergency drip pan underneath and a drain tube that leads to a bucket.
We think the occasional drips of water that wind up in the bucket cause the
spike in psocids. We hope to work with Faclities to find a slightly  better
system that the bucket.

Ironically we try to call the booklouse, psocids because we find it a little
less alarming and helps us keep it in perspective when we are monitoring their
numbers.

I hope that helps

Carolyn Leckie
Conservator