An anecdotal supplement to Matt’s excellent advice:  While it would be
unexpected for moths to lay eggs away from food, there can still be apparent
infestations of such substances.  I was once given a box of non-archival
documents with an infestation of meal moths (Plodia).  The major damage came
from unusually wet frass, lots of webbing, and carcasses of larvae, pupae, and
adult, but mostly pupae that had been smashed when the box had been moved
around.  There was some feeding on the documents, mostly on the coatings and
bindings, not the paper.  I surmised that these parts were made of corn
derivatives.  If these had been archival documents, they would have been
salvageable but only with a lot of work.

I found nothing in the offices that could have been the source of the
infestation.  However, with an expanded search and questioning, I found a store
of hull-less sunflower kernels that had a large and very active infestation in
an adjacent office, separated by a partition.  Similar infestations were found
in other boxes near the sunflower.

No concrete conclusions were ever drawn (staff weren’t sure where their box had
been and I killed the moth colony quickly) but I suspect that the moths came in
on bird seed and established a struggling colony on the sunflower that
persisted after the seed was gone.  I think the moths were mostly in the box
for dispersal and pupation purposes (no small larvae were noted).  There is
some possibility that the moths (maybe as last instar larvae) migrated from the
source to the box through ventilation openings and cracks in the partition
wall, since staff claim that the focal box had never been in the source room.
These conclusions are supposition but the fact that a large and damaging
infestation was present without a ready source of food has widened my search
for source colonies whenever I find an infestation, even with good food present.

---Steve

Steven M. Sullivan  |  Senior Curator of Urban Ecology

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

Museum|2430 North Cannon Drive|Chicago Illinois 60614|
<http://www.naturemuseum.org/> naturemuseum.org

Collections|4001 North Ravenswood Ave.|Chicago Illinois 60613|
<http://projectsquirrel.org/> projectsquirrel.org

P 708-937-6253 | F 773-549-0344 | ssulli...@naturemuseum.org

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science