Lately I've run into a couple of instances where folks I work
with have had problems with TCP window scaling like those
referred to here:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/6723
and here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114478906522646&w=2

I'm frequently hearing (not only in these threads) that pf is
thought to be buggy with regards to window scaling that and that
it can cause problems like those described in these threads.
Can anyone clarify if there is indeed such a problem?  I gather
from the linux folk that they think it has something to do with
statefullness when window scaling is enabled?  If there is such
a problem, are there know ways to mitigate it?  I'm curios
because I keep hearing references to this mysterious "problem
with OpenBSD firewalls" in conversations and newsgroup posts,
but haven't really found anyone who can describe if it really
exists (or still exists) and what the problem actually is.  This
seems to be coming up more frequently lately because some folks
around me are using very recent linux kernels (2.6.17-x), in
which the send/receive buffering has changed a bit (see commit
7b4f4b5ebceab67ce440a61081a69f0265e17c2a in the 2.6.17
changelog).  I think there is a good deal of confusion and some
finger-pointing out there about all this, so I'd love to get
some clarity on the issue.  Thanks!