On 7/15/06, Ryan McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Root can do stupid things which compromise security. Obfuscation or
needles complexity in an attempt to protect yourself from the root
account will only make your system less secure.

If every ruleset needs to put a rule in to default to blocking
packets, then that's needless complexity to me.

Because the /etc/rc ruleset is only temporary, and quite small, I don't
see the point in making performance-related changes to it (particularly
performance-related changes that one would have a hard time measuring
the effects of)

I doubt it could hurt.

> and make some allowance for DHCP.
DHCP uses bpf(4), and is unaffected by pf rulesets.

Ah, learn something new every day.

I suppose the outbound packets are passed by the ruleset, so it makes
no difference that they have a SRC IP of 0.0.0.0...
--
``I am not a pessimist.  To perceive evil where it exists is, in my
opinion, a form of optimism.'' -- Roberto Rossellini