> The rewritten packet still went out on $int_if even though it was
> destined for 127.0.0.1 and routing was turned on.  However because the
> bridge interfaces had IPs, I tried a variation where instead of
> redirecting to a spamd process on 127.0.0.1, I redirected it to the
> IP of the $int_if, thinking that as the packet went out on the
> interface it would be recognised on that interface.

I was under the impression that packets destined for assigned IPs get
short-circuited by the routing subsystem and are delivered on the
loopback devices.

You had a host route for 127.0.0.1, and it ignored it?  Odd.

> This is a ridiculous hack which is completely unsatisfactory.
> I would very much appreciate if anyone who understands pf and
> knows what the heck is going on here could explain it to me.

The networking stack code is fairly readable, last time I checked.

I understand pf but not bridging and carp, so cannot help much.
--
http://www.lightconsulting.com/~travis/  -><-
GPG fingerprint: 50A1 15C5 A9DE 23B9 ED98 C93E 38E9 204A 94C2 641B