On 10/19/05, Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wouldn't be surprised if they're incompatible on the same segment.

The protocols are compatible on the same segment, as long as you make
sure the VHID is different.

> They use the same protocol number, and I'm willing to be you have
> identical VRID/VHID's in there.

Or the VRRP thing is a red herring, and some other configuration
problem is causing the both carp devices to try to become master at the
same time.

Either way, the symptom sounds like two devices both trying to talk with
the same MAC address.

If you have the advskew set correctly, you'll be able to tell
advertisements from your carp devices apart:
# tcpdump -vvleni em0 ip proto carp

You can check what the vrrp devices are doing with tcpdump, eg:
# tcpdump -T vrrp -vvpleni em0 ip proto vrrp

> Even if the ID's are not the same, the OS is trying to make sense of
> what it believes to be a CARP packet, but really isn't.

carp(4) does a number of validity checks before treating the packet a
real carp packet:

- was the device recieved on a interface that has a carp device on it?
- is the ttl 255 (prevents routed carp packets from being accepted)
- check the packet length

Most VRRP packets will be dropped here, unless the VRRP packet has 7
address.

- check the crc32 checksum
- check the version
- check the SHA-1 HMAC

No VRRP packet will pass the HMAC check.