> > > Queuing doesn't make sense inbound anyway; once you've received the
> > > packet, it has already consumed your bandwidth, and thus queuing won't
> > > change anything.
> >
> > queueing could delay ACK reply being sent and then whole connection
> > would get throttled.
> >
> > it works really fine with freebsd's ipfw, i had no problems regarding
> > queueing incoming packets.
> >

> What you propose can be compared to repetitively telling a ADHD child to
> behave, or try to ignore him. Either way, your fucked. If he does listen
> to you however, he probably don't have ADHD. Good for you. ;)
>
> As long as you don't control the the remote host, or a router close to
> it, you have no "real" control over the bandwidth throttling from that
> host to your gateway(or whatever).

  be careful to distinguish between two situations.

1) maliciously sent incoming data meant to flood your connection
2) non-malicious incoming data that is part of a stream destined for a LAN host
behind
  the firewall.

  inbound queueing has no jurisdiction over situation 1, but it *does*
  create the potential for usefulness in situation 2.  if you are
  throttling the rate at which data is forwarded back to a host behind
  the firewall, you can provide benefit to yourself; i do this to
  make it very unlikely that LAN hosts consume my entire downstream
  ( from ISP ) bandwidth capacity.  if i'm eating all my download, my
  latency goes from ~11ms between me and my "default gateway" to about
  400-600ms.

--

  jared

[ openbsd 3.8 GENERIC ( oct 15 ) // i386 ]