Thanks to all for the comments on this issue.

Although several people have come up with alternative approaches, I
still feel very much that the basic situation remains that pf is 'open'
until something happens to close the firewall; and that while there
won't /normally/ be a problem, nevertheless under fault conditions pf
could potentially not be started up correctly, and could leave a system
unnecessarily vulnerable.

I accept that this may not be an issue for some; for my own part,
although I would /very/ much like to use the extra flexibility pf
offers compared with the alternatives, nevertheless, I view this
startup issue as a fundamental and fatal flaw. I shall certainly keep
an eye on pf development, but for the present will continue to use ipf.
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key