we have two Pentium III Xeon, OpenBSD 3.8 boxes running pf in transparent
bridging mode on our primary and backup Internet links, which is currently fed
via an OC-3 (155Mbps) connection to the Internet. On an average day we run
70Mbps/50Mbps (14K pps/13K pps) in/out.

after upgrading to OpenBSD 3.8 and swapping out our original SysKonnect cards
for a single Intel Dual Port Gigabit Server Adapter, we've been experiencing a
problem where the inside interface (em0) stops transmitting, but continues to
receive traffic - verified via tcpdump output on the interface. when this
occurs, the output of an 'ifconfig em0' shows the OACTIVE flag set on em0. the
only way to get the box to continue bridging (and passing traffic) is to
manually bring the interface down and up via ifconfig - which also clears the
OACTIVE flag from the interface.  the frequency of occurrence is anywhere from
every few hours to every couple days and I am unable to correlate it with a
burst of traffic based on Cricket graphs. nothing of relevance appears in the
/var/log/*. anyone running in a similar setup seen this behavior with the em
driver under OpenBSD 3.8? I cannot verify whether this behavior occurs with
earlier versions of OpenBSD, as I just upgraded the cards at app!
 roximately the same time I upgraded to 3.8.

thanks much...

-----
Gabriel Kuri | Sr. Network Analyst
Instructional and Information Technology Division
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
http://www.csupomona.edu/~iit | +1 909 979 6363