On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 at 12:03, Thom Brown <t...@linux.com> wrote:

>> You've been able to do the "Select and run" thing for years. If you
>> select text in the editor and hit the execute button, only the selected
>> text is sent to the server. If nothing is selected, the entire string is
>> sent. This feature will complement that for convenience, but for safety
>> will have a separate button/shortcut.
>>

> Oh, I clearly don't use PgAdmin enough to know this already.

Boo!

> I still find the proposal somewhat unintuitive, but the foot-gun
> safeguards that have been suggested sound like any pedal injuries will
> solely be the fault of the user.
>
> I would want to see it tested in a diverse range of scenarios though,
> which will require some imagination given what users will no doubt try to
> use it on.

Yes, I have made that very clear to the team. Suggestions for test
scenarios are welcome of course - a good way to experiment might be to see
how the current version of pgAdmin (which uses the new CodeMirror code)
manages to mess up syntax highlighting of anything weird.

--
Dave Page
pgAdmin: https://www.pgadmin.org