On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Dave Page <dp...@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Akshay Joshi <
> akshay.jo...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> For further implementation following task needs to be work upon:
>>
>>    - How to parse and show partitions keys. For example user has created
>>    below partitioned table
>>
>> CREATE TABLE public.sales
>> (
>>     country character varying COLLATE pg_catalog."default" NOT NULL,
>>     sales bigint,
>>     saledate date
>> ) PARTITION BY RANGE (*country, date_part('year'::text, sale date)*)
>>
>> When user open the properties dialog I am not able to figure out how to
>> parse keys(displayed in bold in above example) and show them in our control
>> that we used. For the time being I have hide that control in 'Edit' mode
>> (Refer Attach Partition.png)
>>

> I assume psql with display that info with \dt or similar? What does it do?
> Failing that, look at pg_dump?

psql, and pg_dump use 'pg_get_partkeydef' function for reverse engineering,
and we too.
They don't need particular key information.

In properties dialog, we need to find out - what individual partition key
is? (column/expression).

Let me give an example.
I have a partition table with the following definition (with two partition
keys).

*CREATE TABLE public.sales*
*(*
*    country character varying COLLATE pg_catalog."default" NOT NULL,*
*    sales bigint,*
*    saledate date*
*) PARTITION BY RANGE (country, EXTRACT(year from saledate));*

And, the following query will give as:
*SELECT relname, pg_get_partkeydef(oid) FROM pg_catalog.pg_class WHERE
relname like 'sal%';*

 relname |                 *pg_get_partkeydef*
---------+----------------------------------------------------
 sales   | *RANGE (country, date_part('year'::text, saledate))*

Here - we have two option in edit mode.
1. Parse the output of the  '*pg_get_partkeydef'*, and identify all
individual keys, and its detailed information (i.e. column/expression)
2. Show that output about the partition keys in static control, and hide
the Partition type, partition keys controls.

I prefer the second option, as user can not modify the partition keys/type
(RANGE/LIST), and we will not have to write logic to parse the keys from
that output.

What do you say?

-- Thanks, Ashesh