On 2017-05-19 14:45, rich...@xentu.com wrote:
On 2017-05-19 14:20, Adam Brusselback wrote:
I seriously may go back to PostgreSQL 9.3 so that I can use pgAdmin
III until I can wean myself off the tool.
 You don't have to revert your database version to use pgadmin III,
the newest release works fine with Postgres 9.6, and there is also the
BigSQL fork of pgadmin III which as far as I know will continue to
support new releases.

Could anyone clarify this for me?

PostgreSQL & pgadmin are distinct projects right?

I installed pgadmin 4 on a windows machine earlier this week and,
leaving aside the fact that I dislike it, the installation worked.
Today I tried to find out how to install pgadmin 4 on a Linux machine
and I could only find installation methods that seemed to install all
of postgresql, both server & client application. Is this just my
misunderstanding of what's available?

I don't think I expressed myself accurately enough in my above post.

When I've installed postgresql previously, I think pgadmin3 was installed at the same time. Certainly this was the case for a recent install I did on Windows. As far as I know, until now, postgresql hasn't needed python on the server. If I download the windows postgresql installer, and pgadmin4 is by default included, then it means python must also be getting installed.

That's what I was concerned about when previously asking if the two projects were distinct.

Is there an installer that doesn't include pgadmin4 & python?

Somebody please correct me, if in fact, even the server component requires python. Seems like bloat otherwise.