Hi all,

I've got a situation where I need to increase max_pred_locks_per_transaction
value to allow the addition of a slony node to complete on postgres 9.1. We had
this issue before and we increased the default value from 64 to 128, but now we
have a sync that takes even longer and the value for 128 isn't enough either.

Looking at the activity I saw in pg_locks, I believe I need to set it to at
least 256, but a value this high I want to make sure that I don't cause other
issues with the system. The docs mention that it may need to request more
system v shared memory, but should I also re-calculate other parameters such as
work_mem, shared_buffers, etc?

Current System:
Postgres 9.1.3
252 GB system memory
shared_buffers 40GB
work_mem 200MB
max_connections = 300
max_prepared_transactions = 0

free -g
Mem:           252        239         12          0          1        221

I have a lot of cashed memory, but I just want to make sure this isn't
something that cascades out of control and I'm suddenly having major 'out of
memory' issues.

thanks in advance,
- Brian F