On 02.05.24 20:08, PG Doc comments form wrote:
I'm writing to seek clarification regarding the scope of the formal syntax
outlined in the documentation for the SELECT statement
(https://www.postgresql.org/account/comments/new/16/sql-select.html/).

I understand that this syntax defines the core structure and rules for
constructing valid queries. However, I'm interested in building an
Object-Relational Mapper (ORM) for PostgreSQL.

My primary question is: Does the documented formal syntax represent the
absolute limit of what PostgreSQL can understand and process, or are there
additional functionalities beyond these core rules?

The documentation on those reference pages like the one you show for SELECT is intended to be a complete description of the syntax and semantics of the command.

But there is additional relevant information in other parts of the documentation, such as the basic elements SQL syntax, or the input and output formats of data types.