On 2021-02-20 06:43:28 -0700, Michael Lewis wrote:
> Using auto_explain may be needed to catch the plan when it is slow, if the
> other suggestions don't resolve things for you.

Yes, auto_explain is very helpful. Unfortunately, by default it only
does an explain, not the equivalent of an explain analyze. So you know
what the plan was and what the total time was, but you still don't know
where it spent that time.

You can set auto_explain.log_analyze = on, but the documentation warns
that "this can have an extremely negative impact on performance". Does
anybody have experience with trying this in a real-world workload? (I
was never brave enough)

        hp