On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 2:54 PM Atul Kumar <akumar14...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean, Once I change the hostname then how will the socket read the new
> hostname ? Does it require a postgres service restart ?

-h doesn't strictly mean hostname (the wording choice here does seem
problematic), rather it is simply a direct specification of how and
where the psql client looks for and connects to the server.  When the
specification is a filename it is that file that is used and hostname and
any other networking-related stuff is immaterial.  Though the server does
choose to borrow the port number 5432 from networking to construct the
unique name out of convenience.

David J.