Gregory Stark wrote:
"Merlin Moncure" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

A server with a GUI sitting on a login screen is wasting zero
resources.  Some enterprise management tools are in java which require
a GUI to use so there is very little downside to installing X, so IMO
a lightweight window manager is appropriate...a full gnome is maybe
overkill.  Obviously, you want to turn of the 3d screen saver :-)

That's kind of the crux of it. X sessions tend to do things like run 3d screen
savers, periodically check cdrom drives for new disks, periodically wake up to
update load graphs or network graphs, etc.

Spent a happy afternoon some years ago trying to figure out why an NT server would be fine while I was checking its settings, but would seem to crawl after half an hour.

Turned out it had some funky 3D screensaver enabled - it'd grind to a halt, I'd come up, hit the spacebar and not find anything slowing the system down. Obvious once, I'd got the system monitoring turned on, but PITA until then.

Moral: If it's not doing something immediately useful, I don't want it running on my server.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd