Mikko Partio wrote:
Isn't 128MB quite low considering the "current standard" of 25% - 50% of total ram?

I had also read a statement about using this amount of memory as shared buffers. Exactly that was the reason why I set it to such a high value, but I am now convinced that this is wrong.

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html#shbuf
and
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html
are quite clear about this.

On the other hand, http://edoceo.com/liber/db-postgresql-performance.php says:
Shared Memory
PostgreSQL uses lots of this, view ipcs to prove it, the more shared memory the better as more data (tables) can be loaded. On a dedicated datbase server it's not uncommon to give half the memory to the database.
and
shared_buffers = N
Set anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 physical memory, must set kernel shared memory max first. Will see noticeable difference.
Since the first links are also mentioned on the official PostgreSQL website (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.2) I think they should be trusted more.

Regards,
    Christian
--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer