On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Kynn Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > If one can set up this insert operation so that it happens automatically
> > whenever a new connection is made, I'd like to learn how it's done.
>
> For manual psql sessions, you can put some setup commands in ~/.psqlrc.
> In any other context I'm afraid you're stuck with modifying your client
> application code.
>
> An ON CONNECT trigger enforced by the database seems a bit scary to me.
> If it's broken, how you gonna get into the DB to fix it?

I guess I don't know just *how broken* a trigger can be :-) !  I guess what
you're saying is that a trigger can be *so badly broken* that, even if
executed in response to a regular INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE event, it would
disable the database to the point that the only recourse would be to kill
the connection and open a new one.  Such a trigger, if it were associated
with an CONNECT event, would render the database inaccessible.  It follows
from Murphy's law that triggers that are this broken are certainly
possible...

Which is a long-winded way to say that I see your point!

Kynn