Scott Marlowe wrote:
you can run out of memory if too many connections try to use too much
of it at the same time, that's why it is advisable to set work_mem per
connection/query, should the connection/query require more.
Definitely.
I understand why this is advisable; however, something inside me hates the idea to put this kind of database specific stuff inside an application. How about portability? Why does the application developer have to know about database internals? He knows sql, that should be sufficient. I have the (maybe naive) idea of a clear separation of database administration (including performance tuning) and application development. Is this idea completely wrong?

Regards,
   Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer