Ben Chobot wrote:
On Feb 23, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Ben Chobot wrote:

I'm looking at the usage count column of pg_buffercache's info, and I'm
confused. Several buffers that supposed have LRU values of 5 belong to
non-unique indices which supposedly have never been used. As I understand
things, that shouldn't happen. Am I missing something?

(And maybe more to the point, when does the LRU go down in value?)

Usage counts only go up when a page is "pinned" because some backend requested that particular block for its work via a call to BufferAlloc with the file/block it needs. Usage counts go down every time the clock sweep hand looking to allocate new buffers passes over that page during its constant circular scanning of the buffer cache. The mechanics involved are described in a pretty detailed way by the "Inside the PostgreSQL Buffer Cache" presentation at http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/ (and no where else I'm aware of, besides the source code itself).

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us