On 23 Feb 2010, at 21:34, Tom Lane wrote:

> adam_pgsql <adam_pg...@witneyweb.org> writes:
>> On 23 Feb 2010, at 17:41, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> That's very peculiar.  It looks more like dynamic linker breakage than
>>> Postgres' fault, though.  What platform is this (no, the kernel version
>>> doesn't do it for me)?  What have you changed since you last built
>>> Postgres successfully?
>
>> This is Debian 4.0. I haven't changed anything on that box recently. My
>> current working version is 8.2.12.
>
>> As a test I just successfully ran configure, make and make check for 8.3.8.
>> But both a fresh tarball for 8.4.1 and 8.4.2 fail with the same error.
>
> Hmph.  We have several debian boxes in the buildfarm and none of them
> have ever showed a failure like this AFAIR:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl
>
> What I'd suggest is taking a close look at the link commands that build
> libpq.so and pg_ctl.  Compare the 8.3 and 8.4 cases on your box, and
> also look at the make logs from the Debian buildfarm animals, to see if
> you can see what's being done differently.
>
> BTW, so far as I can tell in a quick look at the sources, the only
> explicit call of dlopen() anywhere in Postgres is in the backend,
> not in either pg_ctl or libpq.  So you're definitely dealing with a
> dynamic linker foulup, not a real missing reference.

I checked the output from make but couldn't see anything particular different
apart from the removal of -Winline everywhere. However I have narrowed down the
problem to openssl. ./configure without openssl works ok for 8.4.2, but

./configure --with-openssl --with-libraries=/usr/local/ssl/lib/
--with-includes=/usr/local/ssl/include/

still fails. The server has OpenSSL 0.9.8i installed, but upgrading to the
latest OpenSSL 0.9.8l still fails.

This is gcc version 2.95.4 if that helps?

thanks again

adam