On 24/02/10 20:55, Tom Lane wrote:
Jeff<thres...@threshar.is-a-geek.com>  writes:
[ oracular excerpt from perlref ]

So is this just a dark corner of Perl, or is plperl doing something to
help you get confused?  In particular, do we need to add anything to
the plperl documentation?  We're not trying to explain Perl to people,
but if plperl is doing something that contributes to this, maybe it
requires documentation.

It is documented.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/plperl-funcs.html

Note: The use of named nested subroutines is dangerous in Perl, especially if they refer to lexical variables in the enclosing scope. Because a PL/Perl function is wrapped in a subroutine, any named subroutine you create will be nested. In general, it is far safer to create anonymous subroutines which you call via a coderef. See the perldiag man page for more details.

There's two ways to read that:
1. "Dangerous in Perl" - well, what isn't?
2. "Dangerous in Perl" - blimey, if they think it's dangerous, it must make lion-wrestling safe.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd